Monday, January 19, 2009

One Big Mac, with extra Guilt please

Initially I was suppose to comment on a friend's post but then my comment suddenly grew into a couple of paragraphs and before you know it...a whole post.

The topic was about the boycott on American/Jewish brands in conjunction with the attack on Palestines by the Israelis. Many of my friends did also discussed about this and every one seems to have their own take on the issue. Me on the other hand..is still uncertain.

The thing is that I read early this year I read that the Mufti Besar Johor had declared that it's 'haram' for Muslims in Malaysia if they don't support the boycott. Support in this context was referred to the boycott on American and Jewish made products. There was even a non-government Islamic council that listed a whole list of these so called boycotted products.

Among them was McDonald's, Nokia, Star channel etc...

These product or brands was listed to be boycotted coz they were said to be funding the war attack on Palestines. Hmm....wonder if it's true..

I do know that franchises like McDonald's or KFC have to pay a small amount of fee to the franchisee in America or where ever it originates as a token of appreciation for using their brand image, marketing etc.

But what about the other products?

Then the boycott for these products was meant for Muslims. I was wondering what about the Muslims employees, workers and staffs at these boycotted company. What should they do? Are they suppose to quit their jobs? Wouldn't the boycott be affecting their company? And wouldn't they deserve to be help also apart from our Palestinians brothers and sisters?

Even if it's true that some of the revenue from these companies would be sent to their HQ in the US, I'm pretty sure that the same companies also help to generate revenue and help our very own government. So doesn't the boycott would some how 'cripple' the economic growth of our own country?

So far I haven't been to McDonald's or Starbucks etc.. But last night I did went to KFC to buy dinner. Soo... have I sinned?

No comments: